September Meeting Tonight at 7:30

We will be having our September Business meeting tonight at 7:30pm in the Meyerson Conference Room on the 2nd floor of the Van Pelt Library. 

The meeting usually lasts less than an hour, and there’s ample opportunity if you have questions, or just want an overview of what we do here within the city & in University City.

Tonight’s agenda is pretty straight forward:

Old Business

1) Post-Pennsic Social (how did it go?)

2) Penn Fall Activities Fair (how did it go?)

3) Moving Bailiwick email list (completed, except archive transfer)

4) Zip Codes (discuss previous proposal sent to the Barony & its status, as well as review the Bailiwick’s intentions to clarify message being brought to Baronial Zip Code Committee)

New Business

1) Lunch in the Bailiwick

2) Philly Field Trips

3) Recruiting & Activities Planning

4) Ivy bag project 

5) Future meeting dates

Officer Reports

1) Seneschal (Chapter President)

2) Chancellor of the Exchequer (Treasurer)

3) Minister of Arts & Sciences

4) Chatelaine (Newcomer Liaison)

5) Chamberlain (Keeper of Ivy gear)

6) Webminister 

Announcements & Reminders

1) Craft & Chat

2) City Social

3) Scriptorium

4) Local events 

5) Bhakail Yule

All my best,

Martyn

For up-to-date info & calendar, be sure to always check out Ivy’s calendar here on the website.

City Social Tonight & Summer Updates

Hello and welcome to those who are new to the Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust, a sub-chapter of the Barony of Bhakail in the East Kingdom of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA)!

For those that may have encountered our group recently, please use our contact form to be contacted by our newcomer liaison. Join our email list by clicking here.

Please consider visiting welcome.sca.org for a great overview of what the SCA is about.

The East Kingdom also has a page for newcomers, located here.

The Bailiwick hosts a monthly City Social at West Lofts at 220 S. 47th Street in Philadelphia. We will be there from 6pm-8pm tonight, snacks provided! Please contact the Seneschal (Chapter President) or see the Calendar for more information.

The Bailiwick held a meeting in June, a very informal meeting in July, and a rather quick meeting earlier this month (August). A synopsis of those meetings, as well as an agenda for the upcoming September Bailiwick Business Meeting on Monday, September 10th are forthcoming.

The Bailiwick Calendar has also been replaced – please add the new calendar if you have not already.

Ivyeinrust had a successful day at the UPenn Fall Student Activities Fair yesterday! We engaged with many undergraduate students at Penn, and several have signed up for the email list, and lots left with flyers compiled, designed, & printed by Livia.

Many thanks to Livia, Bruni, Michah, and Maryna for coming out to the demo! Heat, humidity, and mosquitos were not enough to thwart our efforts to spread news of the SCA on Penn’s campus, and I am very thankful for the support of the Officers of the Bailiwick for helping to meet one of the major goals we set for the year. Special thanks to Livia who did the lion’s share of work in preparing everything and being an out-going spokesperson for the SCA in the throngs of new Penn students.

-Martyn

Seneschal of Ivyeinrust, Bailiff of the Bailiwick

UPenn Student Activities Fair Demo

Hello everyone,

Today we will be at Table #249 at Penn’s Student Activities Fair from 5pm-8pm. Even if you can only join for a short while, please come!

We are located on Woodland Walk between Spruce & Walnut Sts.

We are in the orange section, in the lower part of the central area of the map labeled Cultural/International.

If you have questions, need directions, etc. Please contact our Seneschal (Chapter President), Martyn via email by clicking here.

IF YOU ARE A PENN STUDENT:

Welcome! Thank you for stopping by our table today. We will be having several activities coming up very soon, all of which can be found on our calendar here on this website.

Of immediate note: tomorrow, Friday August 31st we will be having one of our monthly “City Socials” which are held at West Lofts (220 S 47th Street), which is close to the Penn-West bus, and runs from 6pm-8pm. This is free, snacks are provided, and feel free to come and meet local members (a “social” doesn’t have any planned activity, it is just an opportunity for people to get together, work on projects, and socialize).

More info can also be found for the larger, regional group – The Barony of Bhakail on their website.

General SCA info can be found here on the Society website (external link to SCA.org).

May 2018 Bailiwick Meeting Minutes Summary

Meeting Started: 7:45pm             Meeting Ended: 8:40pm

In Attendance: Brunissende Dragonette, Philadelphia Brown, Martyn de Halliwell, Livia Petralia.

Next Meeting: Wednesday, June 20th at 7:30 p.m. in the Meyerson Conference Room at Van Pelt Library.

Old Business

  1. Post-Pennsic Social – Scheduled for Sunday, August 19th. Location pending; will confirm at June meeting. Item tabled to June meeting.
  2. Penn Student Activities Day Demo – Scheduled for Thursday, August 30th from 5pm until 8pm on Penn’s campus. Working on registration, securing space, and will reach out to wider group to gather volunteers to assist. Item tabled to June meeting.
  3. Moving Bailiwick E-Mail List – Philly now has instructions from the Webminister’s Office and will begin the process, with the objective to complete the move prior to our Demo. Held a vote to determine what the E-mail List should be (will end in @ ivyeinrust. eastkingdom. org) – all in favor of “bailiwick.” Item tabled to June meeting.
  4. Fall Scribal Display & Demo – Item tabled to June meeting.
  5. Zip Codes – Martyn gave an update on the submission to the Baronial Zip Code Committee just prior to the May Baronial business meeting – reviewed discussion from Barony Meeting with those present. Awaiting recommendation from the Barony. Tabled to June meeting.
  6. Bailiwick Banner – Lady Alesia is finished half of the banner, and it will be ready in time to go to EK 50 Year Celebration. Tabled to June meeting.

New Business

  1. Scribal Demo/Kislak Demo – Please see #4 in Old Business. Item removed from agenda.
  2. Fall Recruitment Planning – In addition to the PSA Day Demo we will also be leafletting on UPenn, Drexel, & Temple’s Campuses, Possibly others, depending on how things go and what is available. Flyers will direct interested people to the website, which will need some minor updates, and will need to list upcoming activities in the Bailiwick prominently, as well as activities in the Barony, with easy links to the Chatelaine (w/ correct language to guide newcomers). Item tabled to June meeting.
  3. Use of “Bailiff” for Seneschal of Ivyeinrust – proposed by Philly, seconded by Bruni. Both voted in favor, Martyn and Livia abstained; motion passed. Title is not restricted by CoH, a Bailiff’s jurisdiction was a Bailiwick. Item closed.
  4. Bylaws – Martyn introduced an initial copy of Bylaws, informally, to be discussed at upcoming meetings. These will be posted separately from the meeting minutes, and were reviewed in brief. Topic tabled to June meeting.
  5. Possible “Field Trips” – Possible group trips to be organized, suggestions included: Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Science History Institute (formerly the Chemical Heritage Foundation), Philadelphia Philosophical Society, and/or the Library Company of Phila.

Officer Reports

Seneschal  – (Martyn) I received confirmation that my Quarterly Report was received.

Exchequer – (Livia) Quarterly report was submitted, as was the signature card. We have money. The Bailiwick has been requested to do a Book Review with the Chancellor of the Exchequer’s Office. Livia and Philly will work on preparing for this.

Minister of Arts & Sciences – (Bruni) Half of the Officers of the Bailiwick attended our last Craft & Chat – more are scheduled. We also had a very successful Mongolian Script class.

Chatelaine – (Philly) Newcomer contacts have been coming in, one has gone to social/Barony meeting and and another has attended the social as well.

Webminister  – (Philly) We are working on getting the Bailiwick calendar back in working order across all platforms.

Announcements & Reminders

  1. City Social – dates posted, first is this Friday!

May Meeting Tonight – Agenda

The Bailiwick Business Meeting will be starting a little later than normal today; the meeting will not begin until 7:45pm. If you are attending the meeting please email Livia so you can be added to the guest list.

The meeting will take place in the Meyerson Conference on the 2nd Floor of the Van Pelt Library on Penn’s Campus.

The following is the proposed Agenda:

Old Business

  1. Post-Pennsic Social
  2. Penn Student Activities Day Demo
  3. Moving Bailiwick E-mail List
  4. Fall Scribal Display & Demo
  5. Zip Codes
  6. Bailiwick Banner

New Business

  1. Scribal Demo / Kislak Demo
  2. Fall Recruitment Planning
  3. Any additional business brought to the meeting

Officer Reports

  1. Seneschal (Martyn)
  2. Chancellor of the Exchequer (Livia)
  3. Minister of Arts & Sciences (Bruni)
  4. Chatelaine (Philly)
  5. Webminister (Philly)

Report from the Barony

Announcements & Reminders

  1. City Social
  2. Any additional announcements and/or reminders brought to the meeting

 

April 2018 Bailiwick Meeting Minutes Summary

Meeting Started: 7:38pm             Meeting Ended: 8:35pm

In Attendance: Philadelphia Brown, Martyn de Halliwell, Livia Petralia.

Next Meeting: Wednesday, May 23rd at 7:30 p.m. in the Meyerson Conference Room at Van Pelt Library.

Old Business

  1. Post-Pennsic Social – This will be an informal gathering for people to get together and share what they learned at Pennsic, with other Pennsic-goers and anyone who wishes to attend.  The Barony has tentatively reserved Aug. 26th for Baronial Champions & Commons, so we’ve decided to host our Bailiwick Post-Pennsic Social the week prior on Sunday, August 19th from 2pm-6pm. Location is to be determined. Topic tabled to May or June meeting.
  2. Return of City Social – To be held on select Fridays in the Common Room of Martyn’s apartment building – West Lofts (220 S. 47th St.) – from 6pm-8pm. Contact Martyn if attending by clicking here. Dates:  5/25, 6/22, 8/31, 9/28, 10/26, 11/30, 12/28. Topic closed – refer to Announcements & Reminders in future agendas.
  3. Penn Student Activities Day Demo – Livia has crafted amazing new recruitment posters customized for UPenn from the SCA website. Intention is to use the May Bailiwick Meeting to create our Action Plan for this Demo. Topic tabled to May meeting.
  4. Moving Bailiwick E-mail list – Philly will request that the Kingdom Webminister’s office transfer and archive the Bailiwick’s yahoo group to an e-mail list hosted on the Kingdom Server. Topic tabled to May meeting.
  5. Scribal Schola – Martyn has had contact from the Signet’s Office, which is enthusiastic about the ability to schedule an event that utilizes the Kislak Center for Rare Books. However, it was discussed that we may be better off hosting an afternoon Demo open to the public given the somewhat short time-frame of late-September/October. Also, with this following not long after the Penn Student Activities Day, this would be an additional, more accessible, recruitment opportunity for the group. Plain-clothes/non-garb planned for the demo/Rare Books collection viewing. Hope is to get 2-3 teachers willing to host on-going workshops in the conference rooms in the building; Martyn will reach out to teachers. Livia will contact the staff at Kislak to see if there is an available date; to be settled as soon as possible. Scribal Schola Topic closed.
  6. Zip Codes – A copy of the proposed map will be made available soon. There was a significant follow-up discussion about which ZIP Codes the Bailiwick would like to request be transferred from the Barony “proper.” The goal for these transfers is to have the “heart” of the Bailiwick to follow along the two major transportation lines: the Market-Frankford Line, and the Broad Street Subway, with those routes acting as the corridor for the Bailiwick to host activities. Given moving student populations (the Bailiwick already hosts UPenn, Drexel, UArts, Walnut Hill, Jefferson, and Temple within its exitinh boundaries) and changing city populations, these changes are intended to reflext that, while not leaving any area(s) to look/feel “cut out/off.” In addition to the zip codes encompassing the extremes of South and Southwest Philadelphia as suggested previously, and the Overbrook/East Fairmount areas initially requested by the Bailiwick, there are 8 additional ZIP Codes we are considering requesting. There are now 15 proposed ZIP Codes to be requested. This would create a fairly even “northern line” for the Bailiwick that stretches to the Delaware River, and does not leave any part of the city “cut off” or “excluded” from the Bailiwick. It was noted and recorded that the Bailiwick is an integral part of the Barony, and participation in the Bailiwick is not required, and that our intent is to merely reflect the changes in the location of the population of Penn, Drexel, UArts, Walnut Hill, Jefferson, & Temple students to serve them better, as well as the changing population of the city itself. Martyn was able to pull a list of paid SCA members residing in the ZIP Codes to be requested, and he, Livia, and Philly will be reaching out to individuals before making a formal request to the Barony. Martyn wikl also begin talks with Master Mael Eoin, chair of the Bhakail Zip Codes Committee. Topic tabled to May meeting.

New Business

  1. Bailiwick Banner  – The Bailiwick’s banner is not in the best shape, and it was determined that a replacement was needed & desired. The Financial Committee met briefly during a suspension of the regular Bailiwick Meeting and approved the purchase. We will be commissioning the banner from Lady Alesia de Maris, who has confirmed with Philly that she has time to add this to her queue. Topic tabled to May meeting.

Officer Reports

  1. Seneschal – (Martyn) My Quarterly Report has been submitted.
  2. Exchequer – (Livia) An updated Signature Card Request Form and the Quarterly Report will be sent in before the April 30th reporting deadline. The Bailiwick still has a healthy bank balance [balance redacted].
  3. MoAS – (Bruni) Bruni was not available this month, but it was noted that the first Craft & Chat has happened, and more are scheduled. Natso also hosted at Mongolian scrip class at Penn that several members attended.
  4. Chatelaine – (Philly) Working with Natso and Marküs to arrange transportation to/from the upcoming Scribal Schola in Caer Adamant. Not many new contacts via the Bailiwick website, currently.
  5. Webminister – (Philly) There has been an issue with the Bailiwick calendar no longer displaying on the Bailiwick or Barony websites.  No one was sure why, and Philly’s initial contacts weren’t able to offer any direct insight, but we will be reaching out to the Kingdom Webministry to see if there is a known issue / resolution.

Report From the Barony

  1. Philly attended the April Barony Business Meeting, where a bulk of the extended time was devoted to discussing the Bylaws Review Committee, the Baronial Bylaws themselves, and possible proposed changes.
  2. Philly was able to deliver Martyn’s report for the Bailiwick at the meeting, as he was not able to attend.
  3. Nominations for Chronicler and Chamberlain are currently open and seeking candidates.
  4. There is an on-going issue of checks the Barony has written not being cashed in a timely manner; Philly (as Baronial Exchequer) is working to resolve this.
  5. The dedicated funds of the Barony were also discussed – the $25 previously dedicated to Siege Combat is now being dedicated to Combat Archery; the $200 dedicated to the Baronial Army is being used by Roseia and others to create new tabards; and the $119 dedicated for the Gold-Key Project has been absorbed back into the Barony’s General Fund, with a note that the Chatelaine can submit a budget if she needs to expand/improve Gold Key going forward.
  6. The cost of the Social at Stage One was also discussed, and a strong push for donations at the meeting and simultaneous martial practices netted a larger-than-normal donation for the evening. It seems to have an annual cost of approximately $600.00 after donations are taken into account.

In service to the Bailiwick,

Martyn

Bailiff of Ivyeinrust

March Minutes & April Business Meeting Reminder

The April Business Meeting for the Bailiwick is tonight! We will be in the Meyerson Conference Room on the 2nd Floor of the Van Pelt Library on UPenn’s campus. Email seneschal @ ivyeinrust . eastkingdom . org for more information.

Our March Business Meeting was held on Wednesday, March 28th, 2018.

Meeting Started: 7:50pm               Meeting Ended:  8:45pm

In Attendance: Brunissende Dragonette, Philadelphia Brown, Martyn de Halliwell, Livia Petralia.

Old Business

  1. Craft & Chat – Are now scheduled through July 2018. Will look at Post-Pennsic schedule.
  2. Post-Pennsic Social – Will be held, date TBD, pending Baronial Commons/Champions scheduling. Possibly at Penn, possibly at Martyn’s.
  3. Return of City Social – tabled to April Meeting.
  4. Penn Student Activities Day Demo  – tabled to April Meeting.
  5. Bailiwick Facebook Page – is now up and running, Martyn and Philly are admins for the page; is not a group.
  6. Moving Bailiwick E-Mail List – waiting for the completion of updates to the new GfNP to give the Webministry team some time. Follow-up in April/May.
  7. Scribal Schola – waiting on response from Signet’s office.
  8. Zip Codes – The Bailiwick will be requesting zip codes 19151 and 19131, and drawing a northern border across zip codes in the city; to mirror the MFL and extend to the Delaware River for continuity. Discussed possibility of including areas of NW Philadelphia or other colleges in the city, was decided to be unnecessary/unwanted at this time.

New Business

  1. Google-for-Non-Profits – all officers are required to log into their new EK gmail accounts.
  2. EK 50-Year Celebration – discussed what the Bailiwick could get together to participate with the Barony in the display, as well as the memorial garden contributions.

Officer Reports

  1. Seneschal – (Martyn) Update from Society and Kingdom passed along from Kingdom Seneschal.
  2. Exchequer – (Livia) Report is due at the end of April.
  3. MoAS – (Bruni) Will be attending Keeper of the Central Flame & judging. KWHSS also coming up in June in Pittsburgh.
  4. Chatelaine – (Philly) Nothing to report.
  5. Webminister – (Philly) The transition to Google-for-Non-Profits has been completed!

LOCATION CHANGE (new bldg only a few yards away) for Sun 4/15 intro class in Ivyeinrust on medieval Mongolian script

On Sunday, 4/15, from 12:30 to 2 p.m., m’lord Shigüsütei (mka Natso) will still be teaching a free intro class on the Classical Mongolian Script and its alphabets.

Unfortunately, there will now be a large crane working on the original building, which will take up some of the metered street parking on Walnut Street and which will close the building.

But the new building is only a few yards away. The new classroom is Seminar Room B in the GORGEOUS Fisher Fine Arts Library https://www.facilities.upenn.edu/maps/locations/fisher-fine-arts-library-anne-and-jerome. The Fisher Fine Arts Library is located at 220 South 34th Street, between Walnut and Spruce Streets. The back of the building is on 34th Street, so you have to go around the building to enter through its main entrance. The main entrance has several steps in order to enter into the building. To use the accessible entrance, please contact Livia at exchequer at Ivyeinrust dot EastKingdom dot org beforehand so she can meet you at the accessible entrance with her keycard.

To get to Seminar Room B from the main entrance of the Fisher Fine Arts Library, go through the double doors leading into the Fine Arts library and let the security guard know you are here for the class in Seminar Room B. Please note that this is a GORGEOUS but very quiet library. The Seminar Room is on a separate floor within the Fine Arts Library, so we won’t need to be as quiet during the class.

If you do not have a Penn ID, please send your modern name to Livia to add to the security guard’s list. Her e-mail address is exchequer at Ivyeinrust dot EastKingdom dot org.

Please note that there is also no parking attached to this new building, but on a Sunday there is usually plenty of metered street parking on Chestnut, Walnut, 33rd, and sometimes on 34th Street.

See you Sunday! – Philly 215-387-5825

 

March 2018 Bailiwick Meeting CHANGE OF DATE

Greetings all!

Due to the current weather forecast, the University of Pennsylvania libraries will be closed tomorrow, Wednesday, March 21st, 2018.

The March 2018 Bailiwick Business Meeting will now be held next Wednesday, March 28th at 7:30pm in the Meyerson Conference Room on the 3rd Floor of the Van Pelt Library on UPenn’s campus.

Meetings are open to all students and members of the public, but if you do not have a Penn ID and have not been to a meeting before, please email Livia with your name so she can pass it along to the library’s safety personnel.

I apologize for any inconvenience this date change may cause for those who had planned to attend the meeting. If there is any business you wish to have brought up and/or discussed at the March meeting, please email me directly.

I will be posting a tentative agenda for the meeting later this week.

In service to the Bailiwick,

Martyn

February 2018 Bailiwick Business Meeting to be held in Meyerson Conference Room in Van Pelt Library on Wed 2/21 at 7:30 p.m.

Ave, Ivy!

Just a reminder that our monthly business meeting will be at the regular location (Meyerson Conference Room on the 2nd floor of Van Pelt Library, 3420 Walnut on Penn’s campus), at the regular date/time (third Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.).

If this is your first time attending and you do not have a PennCard, please contact Livia at Exchequer at Ivyeinrust dot EastKingdom dot org to be added to the security guard’s list.

See you at Wed 2/21 at 7:30 p.m.! Thanks!

– Philly
215-387-5825

January 2018 Bailiwick Business Meeting to be held in Meyerson Conference Room in Van Pelt Library on Wed 1/17 at 7:30 p.m.

Ave, Ivy!

Just a reminder that our monthly business meeting will be at the regular location (Meyerson Conference Room on the 2nd floor of Van Pelt Library, 3420 Walnut on Penn’s campus), at the regular date/time (third Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.). 

Discussions tomorrow night will include whether we should change the date/time of our monthly meeting, possible zip code changes, and officer changes, among other topics. 

If this is your first time attending and you do not have a PennCard, please contact Livia at Exchequer at Ivyeinrust dot EastKingdom dot org to be added to the security guard’s list. 

See you tomorrow night (Wed 1/17) at 7:30 p.m.! Thanks! 

– Philly
215-387-5825

 

Craft & Chat Meeting on Sunday, 12/17, 1-5 p.m.

Reminder that the monthly Craft & Chat Meeting for December will be on Sunday, 12/17, 1-5 p.m. in the Meyerson Conference Room on the second floor of Van Pelt Library (3420 Walnut Street) on Penn’s campus. Please come and bring your projects and stories.

This is the room where we generally hold the monthly Bailiwick meeting. It has good light and tables, and comfortable seats. Because this is in the library, please do not bring a project too messy or involving fire.

If you have never attended one of our meetings before and are not a member of the Penn community, please send your modern name to Livia (exchequer at Ivyeinrust dot EastKingdom dot org) so that she can add your name to the security guard’s list.

Parking is free on Walnut Street on Sundays. The place is also easily accessible by public transportation.

November 2017 Bailiwick Business Meeting to be held in Meyerson Conference Room in Van Pelt Library on Wed 11/8 at 7:30 p.m.

Ave, Ivy!

The next business meeting of the Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust will be on Wed 11/8 at 7:30 p.m., in the Meyerson Conference Room on the second floor of Van Pelt Library (3420 Walnut Street) on Penn’s campus.

Anyone who is interested in helping to plan the Society for Creative Anachronism activities in the South Philly, Center City, and West Philly areas is welcome!

If you have never attended one of these meetings before and are not a member of the Penn community, please send your name to Livia (exchequer at Ivyeinrust dot EastKingdom dot org) so she can add your name to the security guard’s list.

See you on Wednesday, 11/8!

– Philly
215-387-5825